Disaster Preparedness for Pet Care Services in Portland OR
In the event of a disaster, if you have to evacuate, the best thing to do for your pets is to evacuate them too. It’s not something we like to think about, but it will bring you peace of mind to have a disaster plan in place that includes your pets. You will want to be sure to discuss your disaster plan with your pet sitter at BellyRub Pet Care Services in Portland OR, to prepare for the unlikely event of an emergency while you are away. One of the most important things you can do is to assemble a portable pet supplies kit. Your kit should contain the following items:
- Each of your pets should have their own crate or kennel. It’s also a great idea to put a photo of the pet on the crate, and attach the pet’s name, along with your name and phone number. If possible, include bedding and toys.
- Pack food and water dishes for each pet.
- Have an ample supply of food and medication, complete with written feeding and medication instructions. If your pet has problems with anxiety during storms or travel, ask your vet for a sedative prescription to include in the kit.
- Have a leash and collar with all pertinent information on the tags ready and available.
- Have a copy of all your pet’s updated health information and vaccination history. Store it in a ziploc bag.
- Pack supplies that will prepare you for accidents, such as trash bags, paper towels, newspapers, wipes, etc. in case your pets get sick or soil their crates.
- Pack enough for an extended stay. You may be gone longer than you would think. It will be better to have too much than to run out of something.